Hugo Reyes brings a big picture perspective with a long term vision and believes that mutually agreeable solutions can always be found. He is a former active duty Army Aviation Officer and Gulf War veteran who also served in Egypt, Israel, and Bosnia-Herzegovina. He previously served as a hospital Medical Specialist in the US Army Reserve and as an infantry field medic in the Army National Guard.
Hugo is a dynamic leader with more than 25 years’ experience strategically guiding multi-disciplinary teams from around the country and around the world. He has established himself as a trusted advisor in technology insertions, industry best practices, and business process improvements.
He currently serves as a cyber security planner, where he focuses on strategic planning and leads cyber security policy development for the Department of Homeland Security and other Federal sponsors, which requires him to balance the needs of 22+ diverse Components around the country and around the world. Experience has taught him that involving and working with those most affected works much better than creating and pushing down new “rules” from headquarters.
His local and national community involvement includes:
- Volunteering as a Spanish interpreter and translator for the Williamsburg James City County Community Action Agency
- Board of Directors for the Williamsburg James City County Community Action Agency.
- Collecting and delivering dog and cat food and other supplies for A Taste of Heaven Dog and Cat Rescue.
- Reviewing and translating entrepreneur microloan requests for Kiva.
- Previously serving on the Board of Directors for the Peninsula Fine Arts Center.
- Charter member of the National Language Service Corps, a federally chartered group of readily available volunteers who provide supplemental language resources to Federal agencies during times of regional emergency or in response to national security requirements.
His service to the international community includes leading international virtual teams and reviewing and translating official documents, reports, and plans for the United Nations dealing with:
- Economic Development
- Environmental Issues (mining, sustainable natural resource use, reforestation, endangered species protection)
- Human Rights
- Judicial Matters
- Elections, Voting Rights, and Accessibility
- Political Processes and Citizen Participation
Hugo values education! Hugo has earned the following degrees, and always strives for more:
- Associate of Arts degrees in Photography and Fine Arts from Northern Virginia Community College.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Behavioral Science from National University.
- MBA from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
- Master of Science degree in Engineering Management from The George Washington University.
- He has also mentored college students in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), by helping them develop and shape their interests and skills.
- Hugo is fluent in English and Spanish and is a trained court interpreter.
- He is also a strong supporter of early education for preschoolers, vocational training for high school students, organized labor, and affordable higher education.
Hugo is a strong advocate for Veterans benefits and services and believes that much of this experience is valuable in developing a strong, well trained workforce to keep our economy strong.
He also feels that we have a strong obligation to support our police, deputies, firefighters, and rescue personnel who regularly put their lives on the line to keep the rest of us safe.
When elected, Hugo Reyes will become the first Hispanic to serve on the Senate of Virginia. He lives in James City County with his wife to be, Mary.